Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Four Cheese Tomato Basil Tart



I love tomatoes. I can eat them like I eat apples. I don't even need salt. I also love cheese. Fun fact: I used to hate cheese when I was little. What was wrong with me?

This seriously simple recipe combines both tomatoes and cheese to create a bubbling, warm, and gooey tart perfect as a main dish paired with a salad, a snack, or even an appetizer.

Ingredients:
  • 1 sheet of frozen Puff pastry, thawed (I used Pepperidge Farms)
  • Flour for rolling pastry
  • 4 types of grated Cheese (I used Romanello, Parmesan, Mozzarella, and Mezzo Seco Jack)
  • Large handful of cherry tomatoes, halved (I used heirloom cherry tomatoes to give it some color)
  • Small handful of fresh basil leaves
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • 1 Tbsp Olive oil

Preparation:

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
Unfold your thawed puff pastry sheet onto a slightly floured flat surface. Add a bit of flour on top of the pastry to ensure there is no sticking when rolling. Take a rolling pin and roll the pastry flat, making a rectangle.

Carefully transfer your pastry to a baking sheet (try folding it like a letter, lifting it, and unfolding it onto the sheet to prevent stretching).

Take a paring knife and score the pastry making a 1 inch border on each side. Dock the pastry with a fork to prevent air bubbles from forming. This step is shown below:


Bake the pastry for 15 minutes in the oven. 

Remove pastry from the oven (it may look like a big bubble-- just let it sit for a few minutes, and if you need to, press the middle down carefully to make pastry look almost like a tray). Shown below:


Sprinkle grated cheese all over the pastry. Add some basil leaves (I just ripped a few basil leaves apart and sprinkled them evenly), and arrange halved cherry tomatoes on top. Add olive oil and salt evenly over the top.


Bake in the oven for another 15 minutes or so, or until the cheese is bubbly, and the tomatoes are cooked.


Slice and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment