Friday, August 26, 2011

The Sentinel: San Francisco, CA

Corned Beef with swiss cheese & cabbage
A corner sandwich shop with a line out the door, wrapped around the sidewalk, is a very good sign in my book. I've been meaning to check out The Sentinel for quite a while now. They're quite famous for their roast beef and corned beef sandwiches. 


The line went by speedy gonzales fast. They basically just start making sandwiches and put them into boxes so they're ready to go for the next customer in line who wants it. I ordered a corned beef sandwich when I got to the front of the line and had it in my hands within about 2 seconds. Paid $9 and was out of there in a jiffy.


This little corner shop isn't a place to sit and eat. In fact, they don't have anywhere inside to sit and eat. Does that matter? No. Because Yerba Buena Gardens is just a block or 2 down the street. And what better way to enjoy a 
sunny afternoon than to sit in a beautiful park, absorbing the sunshine, and eating one of the most delicious sandwiches ever? I guess winning the lottery might be better, but not much else.


My first bite of this sandwich was one of those moments where your life changes a little bit for the better. The bread was buttery and soft, but still held up extremely well. The corned beef was absolutely delicious, but what really made this sandwich was the sauce they put on it. I have no idea what it was, but it was so flavorful and mouth watering-ly good.


My friend who was with me let me try a little bit of his oatmeal cookie he got as well. Whoa. I never really think to get a dessert at places for lunch, but this cookie alone is worth coming back for. Might be one of my favorite oatmeal cookies I've had in a long, long time.


If you're in the SOMA area during the week at any point, I would really suggest checking out this little gem.


View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment